Most Important Talking points by Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein at the Urgent Session of UN Security Council on Turkish Aggression in Duhok Province
– Foreign Minister: Iraq welcomes the Security Council’s Statement denouncing the blatant Turkish aggression.
– Minister of Foreign Affairs: The Turkish army committed an aggression on the territories and sovereignty of Iraq and the lives of its citizens.
– Foreign Minister: The Turkish aggression resulted in the martyrdom of 9 civilians, including a child, and injuring of 33 civilians.
– Foreign Minister: The Turkish aggression constitutes a military aggression on Iraq’s sovereignty and a threat to the regional and international peace and security.
Foreign Minister: the evidence we had collected from the site of the attack, included shrapnel of heavy artillery shells used by the Turkish army.
Foreign Minister: The latest aggression is regarded as a tangible evidence before the Council that Turkey continues to ignore Iraq’s demands to stop its violations.
Foreign Minister: We have already addressed 296 protest notes to Turkey regarding these violations.
Foreign Minister: We condemn once again before the international community the illegal presence of Turkish forces on Iraqi territories.
Foreign Minister: There is a state of public outrage that is sweeping Iraq from South to North due to the Turkish aggression.
Foreign Minister: We renew our condemnation of the Turkish parliament’s resolution taken in October 2021, extending the authorization for the presence of its troops in Iraq for two years.
Foreign Minister: The Iraqi government affirms its adherence to an approach that calls for resolving the accumulated disputes through diplomatic channels.
Foreign Minister: We call upon the Council to exercise its responsibilities in maintaining international peace and security.
– Foreign Minister: The necessity of issuing an urgent decision obligating Turkey to withdraw its occupying military forces from all Iraqi territory.
Foreign Minister: We demand the Council to add the item on the situation between Iraq and Turkey on the agenda of the UN Security Council.
– Foreign Minister: The addition of the item on the situation comes due to the repeated Turkish violations of Iraqi territory and airspace for years.
Foreign Minister: We will undoubtedly hear from the Turkish side today and later illegal justifications on the presence of its country’s troops inside Iraq.
– Foreign Minister: Turkey gives baseless arguments related to an internal problem with the PKK.
– Foreign Minister: Turkey claims that there is an agreement with Iraq that allows a Turkish military presence inside Iraqi territory.
Foreign Minister: The Turkish side is the cause of this crisis in the first place through the Ankara initiative.
Foreign Minister: The government emphasizes that this act constitutes a threat to the peace and security in Iraq and the region.
– Foreign Minister: The government rejects Turkey’s approach to export its internal problems to Iraq.
– Foreign Minister: Iraq submits this issue before the UN Security Council because it is of paramount importance.
Foreign Minister: We hope that the Security Council realises the urgency of the situation and assumes its responsibility to maintain international peace and security.
Foreign Minister: We call upon the Security Council to form an independent international team to investigate this aggressive act.
Foreign Minister: We demand the issuance of a resolution obligating Turkey to withdraw its military troops from all Iraqi territory.
– Foreign Minister: The adoption of strong condemnation of this Turkish aggression and ensure that the perpetrators of this atrocious act are to be held accountable.
Foreign Minister: We demand that the Turkish government be obligated to pay a compensation for the losses inflicted upon the defenceless civilians.
– Foreign Minister: Iraq confirms its responsibility in a transparent manner and the soundness of its stance towards consolidating regional security and stability.
– Foreign Minister: Iraq expresses its full readiness to work with the concerned countries to expel the Turkish Workers’ Party (PKK) from Iraq.
– Foreign Minister: The presence of the PKK causes the destabilization of security and creates instability in Iraq.
Foreign Minister: The people of Iraq are following up the deliberations of this session today with great interest and high hopes.
Foreign Minister: The Iraqi government affirms that it is working hard to contribute positively to resolving the conflicts in the region.
Foreign Minister: The Iraqi government categorically rejects using Iraq as a theatre for implementing the agendas and interests of countries.