Skip to content
Joint Statement Following the Meeting of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Iraq, Mr Fuad Hussein, with Mr Nasser Bourita, Minister of Foreign Affairs, African Cooperation and Moroccan Expatriates, on the Occasion of the Ministerial Meeting of the Coalition Countries Against ISIS
- Within the framework of the distinguished brotherly relations and the long-established historical ties that unite the Kingdom of Morocco and the Republic of Iraq, Mr Nasser Bourita, Minister of Foreign Affairs, African Cooperation and Moroccan Expatriates, held talks with Mr Fuad Hussein, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Iraq, who headed the delegation of the Republic of Iraq at the ministerial meeting of the countries of the international coalition against the ISIS, which was hosted by the city of Marrakesh on 11/05/ 2022.
- At the beginning of the meeting, Mr Nasser Bourita congratulated his Iraqi counterpart on the success of the legislative elections on October 12, 2021, which were commended internationally for their conduct and transparency. The Minister also renewed Iraq’s congratulations for defeating terrorism and liberating its territories from the “ISIS” organization, confirming in this regard the support of the Kingdom of Morocco to Iraq to face all security challenges to preserve its security, sovereignty, stability and territorial integrity.
- During this meeting, the two ministers affirmed that Morocco and Iraq had had a sincere desire to develop their relations on various fields, and called for redoubling efforts to advance the joint cooperation to reflect their great potential and to live up to the aspirations of the two brotherly peoples.
- In this context, the two ministers directed businessmen in both countries to invest the important opportunities and potential that are available in both countries to develop economic and trade relations, based on the available legal framework, whether at the bilateral level or at the level of Arab League agreements. They also called to update the legal framework, in line with the good dynamism of the relations of the two countries.
- The two ministers valued the keenness of the two countries to hold the joint committee and called for the development of this mechanism, according to a common vision based on realism and a spirit of solidarity, and keenness to make an innovative shift in its outputs by focusing on strategic areas for the two countries.
- In this regard, the two sides agreed on the need to prepare a memorandum of understanding in the field of political consultation to be signed during the upcoming visit of Mr Nasser Bourita to the Republic of Iraq, and to activate political consultation between the two countries to coordinate positions in the interest of the two countries.
- The two ministers also touched upon regional and international issues, where they affirmed the two countries’ attachment to the security and stability of the Arab region, its territorial integrity and national constants, respect for the sovereignty of its states, and rejection of foreign interference in its affairs.
- With regard to the Sahara issue, Iraq supports the territorial integrity of the Kingdom of Morocco and the efforts of the United Nations and its central role in reaching a political solution.
You may also like...