Deputy Foreign Minister for Multilateral relations and Legal Affairs
Full Name: Kahtan Taha Khalaf Janabi
Date of birth: July 1, 1964
Marital Status: Married
- 1991 Bachelor of Medicine and general Surgery, Baghdad University.
- 2001 Master’s degree in Community Medicine.
- English – Fluent
- Bulgarian –Ability to communicate.
Current and Former Positions:
- Deputy Foreign Minister for Multilateral relations and Legal Affairs Feb 2021 – Present.
- Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Iraq to Saudi Arabia 2018- 2021.
- Ambassador – Head of Arab Dep – Iraqi Ministry of foreign Affairs, 2018.
- Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Iraq to Bulgaria 2015-2017.
- Non – Resident Ambassador of the Republic of Iraq to the Maldives, 2010-2014.
- Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Iraq to Sri Lanka 2010-2014.
- Ambassador at the Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 2009.
- Adviser to the Iraqi Government 2006-2009.
- Political activist contributed to the Iraq’s democratization, 2003- 2006.
- Doctor, 1991 -2006
Ambassador H.E. Safia Taleb Al Souhail Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Iraq
Full Name: Safia Taleb Ali Al Souhail
Date of Birth: 29/10/1965
Marital Status: Married.
Children: One son, Miro Taleb born in 2001.
- BA in Public Management and Political Science, University of Jordan, Amman – Jordan, 1989.
- Advanced courses on international relations “International diplomatic law and international humanitarian law”, and international organizations and media.
- Several courses on political empowerment, qualification and development especially on legislative work and leadership;
- Have certificates of advanced courses on international relations, international organizations, and international humanitarian law from specialized international institutes and organizations.
Positions Held and Work Experience:
- August 2022: Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Iraq.
- June 2022: Head of the Europe Department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Iraq.
- 07/10/2021: accredited as Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to the Republic of Malta.
- February 2021: Chairperson of the Near East and North Africa Regional Group to the FAO (NERG), for the 2021 term.
- 28/09/2020: accredited as Permanent Representative of the Republic of Iraq to the UN Agencies in Rome (FAO, IFAD, WFP).
- 25/09/2020: accredited as Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to the Republic of San Marino.
- 06/02/2020: accredited as Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to the Italian Republic.
- 2016-2019: Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
- · 2017-2019: Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to Palestine (Non-resident Ambassador).
- · 2014-2016: Ambassador at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Head of the Department of Europe in the headquarters in Baghdad).
- · 2005-2014: Member of Iraq’s Council of Representatives twice elected (2005-2010, 2010-2014) as an independent political figure representing Baghdad. Managed to get a seat outside the women’s quota system.
Leading member of the Foreign Affairs Committee at the Council of Representatives.
Chairperson of the Iraqi Parliamentary Friendship Committee with the European Union.
- · 2004: Extraordinary Ambassador, the first women to be appointed as an Ambassador in the history of the Iraqi state.
- Before 2003 : Chief Executive Manager of the Unit of Middle East & Islamic World in the International Alliance for Justice, an international organization based in Paris and involves a network of 275 international non-governmental organizations from more than 120 countries.