H.E. Dr. Khaled Batal Al-Najm, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Planning, presents Iraq’s statement as part of the ministerial part of the work of the High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development for the year 2022.
H.E. Dr. Khaled Batal Al-Najm, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Planning, Iraq’s statement within the ministerial part of the work of the High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development for the year 2022. The statement included noting that Iraq’s priorities at this stage are:
- The necessity of returning to the agreed development path, in order to achieve the National Agenda for Sustainable Development and its goals in 2030
- The negative effects of the war against the terrorist organization ISIS, addressing the financial consequences, the file of the displaced, the reconstruction of the affected areas and restoring stability
- Recovering from the Corona pandemic in the world, and the accompanying economic damage and a drop in oil prices, and the completion of the response document and the plan for recovery from the effects of the pandemic in cooperation with international and local partnersز
- Dealing with the sharp rise in food and energy prices, which cast a shadow over countries with special circumstances in their efforts to achieve sustainable development goals.
- Climate changes and their effects, in addition to the challenges faced by the least developed and developing countriesز
- The scarcity of water resources related to the provision of drinking water, agriculture and the marshes, as well as the unfair water policies of the riparian neighboring countries towards this vital issue, which affected Iraq, which negatively affected many of our development goals.
- The economic and structural reforms presented by the government in the white paper, and the government’s endeavor to diversify sources of income and use them to support development programs